The avocado originally comes from south central Mexico . It grows as a tree with a height up to 20 m. It is appropriate for growing as a house plant because in home environment it doesn’t exceed 1 m.
It is relatively easy to grow this plant from the seeds, since the fruit avocado is very easy to find, especially in big stores. Avocados require light and direct sun exposure.
How to grow avocado from the seed?
- First, you have to take the seed out of the fruit, but be careful not to cut and damage the seed. Clean it of all the remaining fruit. Don’t remove the brown cover of the seed.
- When you remove the seed, remember which side is the top and which is the bottom. The top of the seed is the part that will sprout, so it has to be dry, and the bottom will root. The bottom has to be in water.
- Take four toothpicks and stick them in the seed at four sides. Now, that the seed is prepared, put it in a glass filed with water (keep in mind that the bottom of the seed should be in the water). The toothpicks will keep your seed in place, half in water, while the other half is dry.
- Change the water in the glass in about 3-5 days. That way, you are preventing the diseases to develop.
- Put the glass in a sunny spot, and be patient. The plant should develop in about 4 – 8 weeks, depending on the conditions.
- When the stem reaches 20 cm, cut it down for about 7 cm to encourage the growth. When it grows back again, you can plant it in a pot filed with rich soil. The pot should be 20-25 cm in diameter. Leave the top of the seed exposed.
- The avocado tree needs a lot of sunlight, so put it somewhere with direct sun exposure.
Care for the plant
You can grow it throughout the year in the room, but in the summer months you can move it to the balcony or in the garden. The temperature in the summer days should be 20-25 degrees, while in winter, it is better to keep it in a cool place – about 10-15 degrees.
This plant needs a lot of water – abundant watering and high humidity. Irrigation water should be soft and filtered. During the winter it requires less water, as much as for that the soil is a little bit moist at all time. You should fertilize it twice a month with fertilizer for ornamental plants.
Avocados can be used in fresh form, salted, frozen, for the preparation of various salads, drinks, creams, ice cream, basically anything. The fruit is also used in perfume and food industries.